The video of a woman taking a bathroom break during a Zoom call is pretty much the worst-case scenario when it comes to telecommuting. If you haven’t seen it, it’s well worth a watch, if only for the empathy that sweeps across the faces of her colleagues: youtu.be/O-tjwY9BlJA
I've been using Zoom or Google Hangouts for half a decade daily as the main source of meetings and I know this will be a big change for some of you who are now working from home, so here are my best practices:
1. Always join a meeting muted.
2. If you need a restroom break or have to step away for a moment, do it.
3. Always wear work-appropriate clothing - i.e. please wear pants.
4. Remember to utilize the "Do Not Disturb" or “Focus Assist" feature on your devices.
5. Don't be afraid to turn off the video.
6. Don't rely on the "blur background" or "virtual background" options.
7. Have your camera position at eye level, or above you slightly.